Drake has now been in the PICU since 4am Sunday morning. He was throwing up last Friday, but nothing that seemed anything more than a stomach bug. By that night he he was really tired snd slept a lot...nothing out of the ordinary. Saturday he woke up upset around 9, so i gave him some juice and he went back to sleep for another 3 hrs. When he awoke he was crying a little and very lethargic. At about 2 Dan put him in his car seat and he couldn't hold his head up and then he threw up again. Dan was worried and had me take him to the children's er, as he needed to take Kohl and Brynn to thier bball games. I didn't realize that we would end up admitted to the hospital and in this condition. Drake hasn't said a word since asking to watch a show on Friday night...he is in a very lethargic, mostly unresponsive state. He will open his eyes if I ask him too but that is about it. I know he is in there somewhere....
They had a hard time figuring out what was going on since every test they took, and there were several, was coming back negetive....no fever, CT scan, blood, spinal tap, EKG, X-rays, EEG stool...you name it. It was his MRI that confirmed that he had ADEM...a type of encepholitids or swelling of the brain. We found that out on Monday and I felt better just knowing what was going on. He was put on steriods to see if that could help, haven't seen much of a difference yet, but that is normal. He seems more agitated and kicks his legs around a lot. He has some episodes where his arm starts to tremble and the drs. Are trying to decide if these are siezures or not. To be safe they started him on an anti-seizure medine.
This can be a somwhat long recovery, just have to wait and see what happens. I am guessing another week here at Children's...but really don't know. The good news is that most kids with his condition are fine and back to normal eithout any lasting side effects.
On the Road Again
14 years ago


6 comments:
Lori, I'm crying reading this. I'm so, so sorry. We will put Drake's name in our temple and I will be praying so hard. I can't imagine how hard this is for you and just wish I was there to be of some help. I'm so sorry. xoxoxo
OH, I am so sorry. You are all in our prayers. Hospital stays are hard, so hard. We love you guys.
I wish I could be there to help some how. You and your sweet Drake will be in my thoughts and prayers.
A child in the hospital is one of the hardest things! I am glad you have good doctors so close. You are always in our thoughts and prayers. I can get there to help at home for a week or two if you need me.
oh will start praying like crazy for you. Gosh. He will be okay. Love you guys.
Amie
So glad you posted an update b/c I didn't want to call...too hard for you when you don't have all the answers yet. Praying like crazy for your family.
A few hours after I told the Amelia what happened she was sitting alone staring at the table and said "I just feel so sad for little Drako"
lots of love from all of us, a lot.
Post a Comment